Saturday, November 19, 2011

Our First Post (and A Confession of Love For Paula Deen's Chicken Pot Pie)

Hi, hi, HI!!

Welcome to Smootchin' in the Kitchen!  This is our very first post and we're really excited to be here sharing with you.

Paco and I (Jamie) are newlyweds (okay, not really, but we still feel like it) who love to cook together.  Actually even though we both like cooking, he's better at it than I am but I manage to hold my own in the baking department.  We are guilty of dancing and smootchin' in the kitchen (hence the title of the blog) much to our children's delighted "Ewwww, gross" comments.  I'll be setting up an "About Us" page soon, but we really wanted to get to sharing our recipes with you.

So for today.... Drum roll please!!

It's our favorite: 

Paula Deen's Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie



If you'd like, you can watch this video telling you how to put it all together, but it's so easy you really don't have to watch it.  If you are, however, a massive fan of Paula Deen and her adorable accent, watch away and giggle to yourself as she says carrots.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast 
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots, cooked
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas 
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • Salt and pepper, optional
  • 1 1/2 cups instant biscuit mix (Bisquick)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 stick melted butter (of couse a whole stick.  It IS a Paula Deen recipe)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a greased 2-quart casserole dish, layer the chicken, carrots, and peas. Mix the soup, chicken broth, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour over the layers. Stir together the biscuit mix and milk, and pour this over the casserole. Stop for a minute and smooch your sweetheart.  (That wasn't in Paula's directions, but still a good idea, yes?)  Drizzle butter over the topping. Bake until the topping is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.

***Note:  I don't add the boiled eggs like she does.  Ugh, just couldn't stomach the thought of it, but if you do try it that way let me know.  It also takes longer in my oven to cook.  You may need to play with the time and your oven.

I've been making this recipes for many,  many moons now and it's one of my kiddos favorites.  In fact, our son Sam always makes this his dinner choice for his birthday.

If you try it, let me know how it turns out for you.  After all, it is a Paula Deen recipe so it has to be good, right?

I'll be posting some of my favorite baking recipes soon, so make sure you come back and check 'em out!

2 comments:

  1. I am so going to make this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds a-MAZING!! The blog looks great too! I cannot wait to see more of your recipes. I might even make my own Paco and Jamie cook book :) Love ya girl!! Oh and it's Kristen from Hope Abound by the way, the ID thing won't pick up my name :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...