Friday, April 20, 2012

Homemade Blackberry Cobbler

Oh, dear. We've done it again, haven't we?   With all the cookin' and bakin' I've been up to, it seems tricky to stay on top of sharing the recipes we try with you.  But I promise I'll try to do better.  Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

On Easter Sunday, Paco requested a cobbler for one of the desserts.  It took me like a nano-second to jump on board with that!  I. {HEART}. Cobbler. Of. Any. Kind.  Well, it so happened that blackberries were not only luscious and beautiful at the grocery store, but they were also on sale (score!).  I looked through so many recipes trying to find just the right one because a) it was for Easter Sunday, therefore, it must be special; b) I'm terribly picky.  Really, I am.  But I was so excited when I found this recipe through Taste of Home, my go-to new recipe site.  Do you have one of those?  Let me know!  Here's what it looks like. 
Blackberry Cobbler Recipe
(photo courtesy Taste of Home)

Raise your hand if you're drooling.  Yes, yes.  I see you way back there.  You think no one notices, but I do.  Know why?  It's because I'm right along there with ya.

Ingredients:

•6 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
•1/2 cup sugar
•3 tablespoons cornstarch
•1 teaspoon grated lime peel

SOUR CREAM PASTRY:
•1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
•3 tablespoons sugar, divided
•3/4 teaspoon baking powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/4 teaspoon baking soda
•7 tablespoons cold butter, divided
•1/2 cup sour cream
•1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:

•Place the blackberries in a large bowl. Combine the sugar, cornstarch and lime peel; sprinkle over berries and gently toss to coat. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
• In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; cut in 5 tablespoons butter until crumbly. Combine sour cream and heavy cream; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until mixture forms a ball.
• Roll out to fit top of baking dish; place pastry over filling. Trim and seal edges; cut slits in top. Melt remaining butter; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Eat the scraps.  No, seriously.  Do.
• Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes. Cover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.

*So here's the scoop on this recipe.  I loved it.  Seriously.  However, the lime peel could be a little much for some and it's definitely not a traditional cobbler ingredient and I'm a traditionalist, for sure.  Next time (and there will be a next time, I tell ya.), though, I will try it with cinnamon rather than the lime.  But that sour cream pastry!  SHUT UP!  It was flippin' ah-mazin'!

So, until next time, here's to more smooches in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...