Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Morning Mix-Up

We love the grand American tradition called "breakfast for dinner".  Really, who doesn't?    I've started putting it on our menu every couple of weeks or so because:

a)  It's so completely, utterly, and beautifully easy.
b) My kids call it opposite day when we do that and sometimes it's all about making those little things into big things, ya know?
c) You can't get too much cheaper than a dozen eggs.

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner folks.

This time when I made it, I also served fruit salad (oh, be still my heart. how I love thee, the wonderful concoction dubbed the summer fruit salad.) and The Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Swirl Bread.

Wait.

You say I haven't shared that recipe here yet?  Ack!  I much remedy that within the next few days!  It's an absolute staple around here.  That will be shared here soon, you can depend upon it.

Back to our Morning Mix-Up recipe.  This was another one of those recipes I found from The Taste of Home when we were first married and I was more of a fledgling cook.  (Not that I'm super great now, but I do know a wee bit more now than then, thank goodness.)


Morning Mix-Up Recipe
recipe courtesy of Taste of Home

Ingredients

  • 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
  • 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil  (I used EVOO)
  • 6 eggs
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • Minced chives

Directions

  • In a large skillet, saute potatoes, ham and onion in oil for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. In a small bowl, beat eggs, salt and pepper. Add to the skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are set. Remove from the heat and gently stir in cheese.
  • Spoon onto a serving platter; sprinkle with chives. 

Yield: 
4 servings.


*Of course, for our family, we had to double it.  We don't eat like a family of four anymore.  What  did that even look like anyway?  I can't remember.  This would also be awesome with bacon or sausage - breakfast or Italian, or Mexican chorizo.  Oh, man.  My mouth is watering.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...