Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Caramel Banana Muffins

Are you looking for a way to bribe your family one Saturday morning?

Do you find yourself wishing that you had that perfect muffin recipe to make your overnight guests feel like they've stepped into a b&b?

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be everyone's muffin-making hero (or heroine, whatever the case may be)?

Are you ready for me to stop asking you nonsensical questions?

Then, have I got a deal for you!

Reverting yet again to my good old trusty Taste of Home recipe collection, a couple of weeks ago, I came across this recipe.  I made them for my family in order to bribe them into doing their chores and within about twenty seconds it looked like the Tasmanian Devil had devoured the whole plate of them.

They really are that good.

Jumbo Caramel Banana Muffins Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • CARAMEL ICING:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon 2% milk
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
  • Fill paper-lined jumbo muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Cool slightly. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag and drizzle over muffins. 

*Jamie's notes:
  - I don't have a jumbo-sized muffin tin, so I just used my regular sized, which worked out just fine.  The baking time will be a little shorter, about 18-20 minutes.  
  - Don't forget to drop the pan on the counted a few times after filling them with the batter to get any air pockets out of them.
  - Don't be fooled by the picture of the muffin up there.  The recipe for the icing makes quite a bit and so I just spread it on with a knife rather than the whole messy bag process.  But don't skip the icing, though!  It makes the whole muffin incredible!

This of course is a perfect way to use up those bananas that you're children won't eat because they have spots on them and heaven knows no child (or this mama) will eat a banana with spots on them.  Ew.


1 comment:

  1. I have concluded muffins are one of my boys' love languages...these are so going to be made!

    dumb question (from someone who readily admits she's a bit of a rebel when it comes to baking): will I ruin them terribly if I change the shortening to another fatty alternative? I mean, really ruin them???

    I wish I were kidding, but shortening is one of my migraine triggers...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...