Friday, March 16, 2012

Mamacita's Macaroni and Cheese

When Paco and I first got married, I barely knew how to cook.  True Story.  But once I sampled my mother-in-love's mac and cheese, I was determined that I, too, could learn how to make this simple masterpiece!

I have made it over and over thoughout the years and I always get compliments.  I made it for a homeless shelter dinner one time and the lovely people who were there just kept coming back for more and more because it's comfort food for all of us, homeless or not.  Now I'm not saying this to toot my own horn here and I'm always careful to tell everyone who raves about it where the recipe came from.  I'm only the cook here, not the creative food artist that she is.

Are you ready?


Ingredients:

  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 1/2 - 3 3/4 cup milk
  • 4 cups shredded cheese (I use Cheddar and Monty Jack)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 12 oz. cooked macaroni
  • Italian bread crumbs to sprinkle on top (optional)

Directions:

  • In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add flour, whisk until not clumpy. (Make sure you have the milk ready to go or the flour will burn.  Don't ask how I know.)
  • Whisk in 2 cups of milk until smooth.  Let warm.  Add remainder of the milk and let it warm again.  (Yup, twice.)
  • Take mixture off of the heat and whisk in the cheese.  Add salt and pepper. (Oh, it's looking good, my friends.  Won't be long now...)
  • In a baking dish, mix macaroni and cheese mixture.  If desired, spinkle top with Italian bread crumbs.
  • Bake at 300 degees for 30 minutes - 1 hour.  Sit back and just wait for your family to fall in love with you again, because it will happen.  Oh, yes.  It will happen.
*We've added chopped cooked ham to this before to make it a main dish and it. was. ah-some!  Let me know if you try any variations.

In the meantime,

Smooches from the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...