Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cranberry Streusel Pie

Pie, oh pie.  How do I love thee, let me count the ways.  One, two, three... infinity.

Pie is my all-time favorite dessert.  Always has been, always will be.  So when I heard that yesterday was National Pie Day, I was all over it.  Who declared it to be so?  Well, I don't know.  Does it matter?  I think not.  I would be thrilled if every day was National Pie Day.  I'd also be about the size of a barn, but that's not what's important here.

After I realized that it was NPD, I remembered a recipe that I had found around November of last year and had been wanting to try.  Added bonus is that I had everything I needed in the pantry and fridge so you had to know I was going to be putting thing together to enjoy.  Because of the cranberries, I guess most would consider it a Thanksgiving or Christmas recipe, but with all the red from the berries and the streusel topping, I contend that it's a fantastic winter recipe!

Cranberry Streusel Pie

Cranberry Streusel Pie Recipe
(sorry, not a good quality pic)


Ingredients
  • 1 pound fresh cranberries
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon shortening
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie

Directions

  1. Smash berries. Stir in sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Pour filling into pie crust.
  2. Smash walnuts into small pieces. Stir in brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and shortening with a pastry blender. The mixture should be crumbly. Sprinkle over pie.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes, or until done.
Even though I made this yesterday, we weren't able to feast on it last night, so we're saving it tonight.  I did, however, sample it, just for you, dear reader, to make sure it's yummy and worthy of "Smoochin' in the Kitchen".  Because it's cranberry, it's a little more tart than I usually like, but I know there's a certain hubby here who loves that kind of taste, so he'll be happy.  Next time, I'd probably add more white sugar, maybe do a full cup and then top it with ice cream.  I also don't know what kind of terrific glaze they have on there, (there's no directions for that), but I'm thinking milk and powdered sugar mixed.  Might have to try that next time.

Until next time, my dears, here's to more smooches in the kitchen!

Linking up to Permanent Posies Tasty Tidbit Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Well, the photo is good enough to tell that I want a piece! My husband likes pie that is lower in sugar too. I just made a mango pie with 3/4 cup sugar in it (no brown sugar). I thought it wasn't sweet enough but he LOVED it. I know he would love your cranberry pie too. Thanks for sharing it at Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...